A major summer experience for families to tinker, experiment and play together. Imagined by young minds for the next generation of inventors and makers.
What is the Mega Maker Lab?
Mega Maker Lab was London’s biggest and best experience dedicated to the imagination, which ran in August 2019.
Across five creative experience zones, families tinkered, experimented, built, played and enjoyed time together. Most exciting of all, the ideas all came from young minds, our Imagination Architects, who we worked with to imagine and build the Mega Maker Lab.
The 12,000 square foot experience was imagined by 100 young Londoners in collaboration with the Institute of Imagination and architectural educators MATT+FIONA.
The experience is now closed, but you can see what else we have on, on our what’s on page.
Across creative zones families could:
- Imagine and play zone: unleash imaginations as a family with collaborative building activities and challenges including LEGO, giant marble runs and Stixx machines.
- Ideas zone: get inspired by other young inventors and design and invent ideas to change the world in a cosy ideas den.
- Challenge zone: take on BIG challenges like making a bot with motors and batteries, creating transport for the sky with wire to add to Super Sky City and pedal-powered plastic shredding.
- Test arena: make something fly or move with tools and up-cycled materials in a giant maker space and test creations out with wind machines, ramps, flight spaces and more to discover the art of prototyping through junk modelling.
- Tool bar: try out tools like glue guns, drills and LEDs in a safe space to bring ideas and inventions to life.
Reviews from our visitors
“Hours and hours of entertainment – absolute dream place to take the children to inspire creativity and imagination! The kids absolutely loved it and didn’t want to leave.”
– Parent, Instagram review
“We had a very good time today and I really enjoyed making our robot. IT WAS SO FUN!”
– Child, the iOi visitor book
“It’s all the best things for kids all in one place – endless fun”
– Parent, interview
How were young people involved?
We worked with 100 primary school children, our Imagination Architects, to realise the Mega Maker Lab. In April, they joined us at the Imagination Lab for design workshops with MATT+FIONA and in July, they brought their ideas to life with building and engineering workshops. Across the month of opening, thousands of families came to experience Mega Maker Lab and came up with ideas and inventions together. We saw themes running through their builds and concepts ranging from the environment and transport to community initiatives and automation.