A major summer experience for families to tinker, experiment and play together. Imagined by young minds for the next generation of inventors and makers – and everyone is invited.
What is the Mega Maker Lab?
How many young people can look around them and say they’ve had a say in what they see?
The Mega Maker Lab is a 12,000 square foot experience, imagined by young people in collaboration with the Institute of Imagination and architectural educators MATT + FIONA.
Across 6 experience zones, families can tinker, experiment, build, play and enjoy time together. Most exciting of all, the ideas have come from young minds, our Imagination Architects, who we’ve worked with to imagine and build the Mega Maker Lab.
What can I do at the Mega Maker Lab?
We’ll be sharing more details over the coming months but here’s the idea to spark your imagination…
You can explore 6 spaces:
- Imagine and Play: an invitation to imagine and play together as a family with collaborative building activities and challenges.
- Have ideas: a space where children are encouraged to come up with their own ideas, through design and invention tips, sensory experiences and fun creative prompts.
- Take on challenges: an area where children can take on BIG challenges, like making something that flies or moves with junk materials and tools.
- Test your builds: a space for testing and prototyping, where inventions can be tested with wind tubes, races spaces and more.
- Try out tools: to take on these challenges you’ll need tools! The tool bar will be a safe space to use tools and tech that will bring ideas and inventions to life.
- A performance space: get tips from experts, join in performances and share your ideas in the open arena .
Every visit can be something different, as it’s all about building, making, inventing and playing. There will be exciting announcements coming about partners, sponsors, workshops and themes that we’ll be exploring across the month. Stay tuned.
Who is the Mega Maker Lab for?
The experience will be for any age to enjoy but will be particularly for families with children ages 5-12. There will be a dedicated early years area, so you can visit as a family. We will be running workshops throughout August for different age groups, including evening events for adults.
When can I visit?
We’ll be open Tuesdays-Sundays between 1-31 August, so you can visit 6 days a week! We’ll also be open on Bank Holiday Monday.
Where is Mega Maker Lab?
Mega Maker Lab will be at The Workshop, 26 Lambeth High Street where our Imagination Lab is located.
We’re taking over the main Engine Hall to transform it into the Mega Maker Lab, plus the Imagination Lab will have a range of workshops and skills camps throughout the summer.
How were young people involved?
We are working with 100 primary school children, who are our Imagination Architects, to realise the Mega Maker Lab. In April, they joined us at the Imagination Lab for design workshops with MATT + FIONA and in July, they will be returning to help bring their ideas to life with building and engineering workshops. Read more about the project so far with MATT + FIONA and our Imagination Architects.